Sunday, January 30, 2011

Diary of my unplugged day


The garden at sunrise


"IF YOU CAN'T UNPLUG FROM YOUR TECHNOLOGY THEN THAT IS THE KINGDOM YOU SERVE" (see Unplug from Technology)


The rules:  No cell phone, television or internet from wake-up until 8:00 p.m.


My Unplugged Day:  At 4 am I woke up and checked my iPhone for an email from my friend who lives in Cairo.  I didn't consider this breaking the rules - I hadn't gotten out of bed yet and it was important.  Things had escalated there and I was anxious for news.  No email.  I turned off the phone and went back to sleep.
Downy woodpecker
I woke up the second time to the sound and aroma of the coffee brewing itself in the kitchen and then spent nearly two hours reading the newspapers with multiple cups of coffee.  There wasn’t much positive news about anything.  But it was very peaceful.  I watched a few birds on the feeder outside and saw one of the neighborhood hawks flying overhead, checking the bird feeder for snacking opportunities.  He flew on.
Son #1 and I departed mid-morning for an estate sale and a walk along the C&O Canal at Great Falls, Maryland.    At the park, it was stark and beautiful on the drive in.  Tall, straight trees were plastered with snow and it was very quiet.  We noticed and welcomed the recent road repairs and those still in progress and were pleased that there was no admission fee that day. 
Maryland snow family
The walk to the falls was treacherous with snow packed down to ice on the trail -  4” deep and not yet slushy enough to keep from being slippery.  The cloudy day, however, had turned sunny.
Great Falls
On the ride to the park, and continuing on our walk, we talked.  First about how it was freeing not to have the cell phones (my son forgot to bring his).  “Yeah it takes us back to the old days, like the 1960’s.” he said.  “Imagine, we would be riding in a really sweet car with fins and going to get a malt after the falls!”  We chuckled about time travel and I cherished the time as we talked and neither of us checked emails, took calls or worried about communicating the rest of the world.  We couldn’t remember a time in recent years when we were together without at least one cell phone.
Great Falls
We decided if we needed to call anyone we would be out of luck since you can’t find a pay phone anymore.  “Everyone has a cell phone now,” he stated, “and they are all busy talking on them but they don’t really communicate.”  We talked about how we talk to others by phone when we are with our friends or we communicate by text, giving useless updates, facebook status that nobody really cares about and tweets.  "All substitutes for real conversations like we’re having right now," I thought.  There is hope for the younger generation if they wise up like this one has.  Yup he’s a keeper.
Great Falls
Great Falls
C and O Canal National Visitors Center
It was quiet and very slippery at the falls.  I asked the keeper if he might want to go see “The King’s Speech” at the theatre later that evening.  “Not my kind of movie,” he replied.  “No explosions, car chases or boobs.”  I made one of those disapproving Mom noises, and tried to convince him it was a movie worth going to and got nowhere.  Perhaps I gave him too much credit for widsom earlier.
Old dog in the snow
Sampling of the downed limbs
After a stop for lunch and more conversation, we headed home.  There, we entertained the dog by throwing snowballs, then spent an hour moving several large limbs from the mighty pine trees that flank the garden.  The recent snow and ice were too much for some of the huge old limbs.  Son #2 agreed to take the limbs to the dump for recycling.  He's a keeper, too!
Williamsburg Husk teacup
Instead of checking email and wasting time on the internet, I enjoyed a pot of tea using a teacup from Mother’s china, purchased while she and Dad were on their honeymoon in Williamsburg.  Because I had the time, I simply sat and enjoyed my tea.  

After that, I listened to the radio and sorted through old family photographs, organizing them and puzzling over many without labels - I had no idea who was in them.  Labeling photographs is very helpful for future generations. 
bonsai
amaryllis
orchid bud
Jack the Jade
amaryllis bud
I watered my bonsai, Jack the Jade, and Sham the Shamrock.  I admired the beautiful bloom on the amaryllis and the buds that will soon be blooms on the orchid.
Sham the Shamrock
With paper and my favorite fountain pen, I outlined an article, enjoying the feel of the pen and the flow of the ink.  As much as I like the speed of writing on the laptop, I am really old fashioned about the power of the pen.  

After dinner the sons turned on a movie and I ignored it.  When 8:00 rolled around, I was a little disappointed because I felt I had an obligation to check email.  First email check was for news from Cairo; unfortunately there was none.  

It was a great day.  I didn't waste any time.   I relaxed between activities and spent much more time communicating in a very positive way.  I think this is going to become a habit.  Good things happen when you communicate in person.  

Try it.  Let me know how it goes for you.  I hope your day is as enjoyable as mine.

1 comment:

  1. After reading your comment to my blog, I decided to check out yours. I like your photography also, so I will subscribe to it and see what else you can come up with.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete