Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Photography Lessons


Sandhill cranes in Citrus County, Florida
As I have advanced in my photography skills, I have also realized that I have not only learned more about how to use my camera and lenses, but in the process gained valuable life lessons.  I now know there is also a lot more to learn. Some examples and illustrations from my weekend in Citrus County, Florida follow.
Make sure you have all your equipment before you leave the house.  I rushed out the door to photograph the sandhill cranes when I heard them flying over the house.  Unfortunately, I left my flash card indoors and found out when I raised the camera to shoot and it wouldn’t cooperate.  Missed opportunity.
Sometimes when you mess up you get a second chance.  The cranes came back again the next day.
Wait.  Patience pays off.  I sat on the dock for 20 minutes without taking any photographs, just watching the moves of the sandhill cranes.  Sure enough, they came closer and closer until they were only 6-8 feet away. 
Clean up your files so you have room for new ones. There I was with the sandhill cranes almost close enough to touch them.  I had waited and I had the best opportunity ever to shoot great close-ups of them.  This time I had the flash card but it was full.  Instead of getting the perfect shot, I spent time deleting photos from the flash card to make room for a few more photographs.  
Sometimes a new angle makes all the difference in the outcome.  Photos of the same bird, same location, different angle do not alike. 
Get out from behind the camera and take in the whole view – you might otherwise miss something.  I was so busy photographing the sandhill cranes that I didn’t realize that other birds were all around me.
Don’t be in such a hurry that you miss what you were looking for.  Rushing to the spot where I thought the cranes would be, I nearly walked right into them as they strutted down a driveway.
Sometimes a view from a distance is worth more than being up close.  It was such a thrill to watch the fly-over of the whooping cranes behind their ultralight “mother”.  Up close the view might not have been as dramatic.
Share your joy when you see something special.  A woman on her motorized wheelchair, with her little dog riding where her amputated legs should have been resting, stopped to admire the sandhill cranes.  We spoke about them and their amazing beauty and grace.  I walked on down the trail and she and her dog stayed a bit to watch the birds, then continued their journey.
Your mind is the best photographer.  It was impossible to capture the beauty of the sunset.  These photographs are nothing like the real thing that is still etched in my mind.
A close look sometimes gives you a different perspective.  Who knew a weed could be so beautiful or interesting?
Nature and sunlight pair to create exceptional beauty.  These cypress knees in the morning light were hard to resist and moss in the trees looked pretty in the late afternoon sun.
Opportunities present themselves in the most unusual locations.  The Citrus County dump was a good place to see lots of swarming birds.
Be careful where you step.  Wild orchids grew in the grass and I almost crushed them.

Get out and Walk.  You are bound to see something interesting.  The Withlacoochee trail in Citrus County, Florida offers endless photo opportunities.


1 comment:

  1. just beautiful - both photos & lessons learned. thank you, hilarie

    ReplyDelete