Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas: Enjoying the Small Stuff




This was the simplest Christmas I can ever remember.  And it was one of the most relaxing and special.  Traditions continued, but excess was absent.


Due to the employment situation, I gave fewer gifts.  Those that I gave were very personal and I had some role in their construction. I had to be more creative as well as budget-conscious.


Our centerpiece for Christmas Eve dinner was made from holly from the garden, three lovely pomegranates and candlabras  with white candles.  What a savings to eliminate the flower arrangements, and the simplicity was quite lovely.

Early in the season both of my sons suggested that perhaps I had been a bit over the top in past years and that this was a good year to cut back.  As one said, "I couldn't find enough people to give all that chocolate to," referring to the bulging Christmas stocking.  This year instead of feeding my tendency to over-consume, I was more thoughtful and careful with my purchases.  





We made charitable contributions.  With friends, we agreed to keep it simple.  Isn't this what the spirit of Christmas is about?  Family, friends, sharing, and giving thanks?

We have some traditions that are perhaps not the norm, but cause me to smile when I think of them. 


  • Dining with friends on Christmas Eve followed by late church service ending at midnight and walking home under the stars when it is Christmas Day.
  • Bubble wrap must be stomped and popped.  Contents of packages are forgotten until every bubble has been burst, causing the dog to go crazy, tearing the plastic to shreds.
  • Present-counting.  There is some status to being the one with the most presents and someone always rakes all the presents out from under the tree, sorts them into piles by name and counts.
  • Waking up early.  Regardless of how late the children (now adults) sleep, Mom wakes up at 6 and is too excited to go back to bed.
  • Eating special foods:  garlic cheese  grits, ham,  mimosas, strong hot coffee, and homemade sweet rolls (yeast dough, cinnamon, pecans, brown sugar, butter).  We talk about them for months leading up to Christmas.
  • Baking extra cinnamon rolls and delivering them on foot to nearby friends.
  • Working a puzzle or playing a game together. This year we played Scrabble and my first word earned me 82 points, a record.









We didn't miss the excess of past years.  In fact, I  think we enjoyed each other more than we every had.  It has been fun.  Next, we make our New Year's Resolutions and return to healthy eating habits.  
Merry Christmas!



1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through the Washington Post Blog Directory, and it is adorable! Keep up the writing!

    ReplyDelete