Thursday, August 20, 2009

Essential Boomer Equipment

Last week I traveled with a friend to spend time with our mutual dear friend whose Mother had just passed away. It was a quick trip that involved an overnight in a lovely resort with amenities that we did not have an opportunity to take advantage of. However, the one thing I did use was the magnifying mirror in the spacious, well-appointed bathroom.

I had never used a magnifying mirror. My friend couldn't believe it and commented that everyone our age needs one. I was afraid to use it because I knew what I would see. When I did look, sure enough, I saw the skin of a woman who grew up in Florida and began tanning in February every year. But I also could see to apply eyeliner - something I struggled with at home because my mirror is on the far side of the sink. It was great. I was amazed. Now I knew what she was talking about. I had to get one of these marvelous tools

When I got home, I ordered one online. It arrived and I installed it, being sure to use all of the screws and anchors so it would be well grounded and I could use its extendable arm to its full length.

When I looked in it for the first time I nearly jumped out of my skin. Unknowingly, I had ordered a 7x mirror, which was at least 2x more magnification than I had used at the hotel. All over again, I experienced the shock of the look of my skin, now aged at least 2x from a week ago. Getting over the trauma, I convinced myself that I will eventually be glad I got the stronger mirror. It will only get harder to see and I'll gradually care less about the wrinkles. After all, this is essential equipment for everyone of a certain age.

No comments:

Post a Comment