Monday, August 10, 2009

Explaining Rude American Behavior to Foreign Visitors

This morning the dog and I walked two visiting Chinese professors to the Metro. As it was their first day commuting to Georgetown University from my home in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC, I wanted to make sure that they felt secure enough to make the pleasant walk on their own this evening.

As we approached the paved pedestrian/bike path, I warned them to stay to the right of the yellow line and that sometimes you do not hear bicycles approaching, often going very fast. One professor asked simply "Do they not have chimes?" "Most do," I explained, "but many do not use them." They both appeared puzzled but asked no more questions. Unfortunately, they quickly understood my warning. A biker came up behind us at top speed, not using the warning bell on his handlebars. He passed very close to one of the women. She was startled and nearly stumbled in his path. He scowled, and sped on. It happened a second time and I once again observed an unused bell.

My experience was completely the opposite in Copenhagen, where there are many people who commute to the city by bicycle. Many times, usually when I was focused on taking a photograph or observing architecture, I walked in the path of a bicycle, even though the lanes were clearly marked. Never did I receive a scowl, or anything but a knowing smile. They were friendly, clearly used to tourists. Their pace was equally fast, but they did not seem to put themselves above others who shared the road.

I suspect the professors and I will have a chat about this at dinner this evening and I will try to explain the attitude, knowing I will not come up with an answer that makes this morning's experience any less of a bad reflection. How do you explain why someone has a chime but does not use it? Are we in too much of a hurry or is it a different attitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment