Friday, October 9, 2009

Feedback



When was the last time someone took the time to thank you for a job well done, or gave you feedback on anything?  Except when it comes from someone who is annoyed, it seems to be a vanishing art.

When I was working, I made a point to let supervisors know when their employees were especially helpful or performed in outstanding ways.  They were always surprised and the usual conversation would end in a great deal of thanking and gratitude.  I tried to make comments in writing, in hopes that they would end up in their personnel records.

Providing feedback is one small way to fight mediocrity.  If we reward the people who do a really good job, and highlight them to their superiors, aren’t they more likely to continuing to do a good or better job and maybe pass some of that goodness on to their fellow employees? 

I placed a large phone order with the local garden center and took up a lot of the extraordinarily helpful gardener's time.  When we completed the order I asked if she would connect me to her supervisor.  “Is anything wrong,” she said.  I explained that I simply wanted them to know how helpful she had been.  “Really?” she said, sounding surprised.  Her supervisor was likewise caught off guard and indicated that he only hears from people who are unhappy.  “I’m unemployed,” I explained,  “everyone who is fortunate enough to be working and doing a good job should know others appreciate their work.”


Recently, I contacted the county extension office to  find someone to take the wood from my felled black walnut tree for furniture making. The largest log was 10 feet long, 24 inches in diameter and about 1600 pounds (see To Kill A Tree  9/21/09).  The extension office referred me to an expert who subsequently referred me to a furniture maker who took the logs to be milled and then to use to make furniture.  I emailed the expert who referred me to the furniture maker and thanked him and let him know that my wood would become a table and possibly another piece of furniture.  He responded with a huge thank you, indicating that he refers a lot of people and “nobody ever gives me any feedback.” 

Giving feedback to someone who makes a good referral rewards both the referer and the person who has been referred.  We owe it to these nice people to let them know they made a difference.

Sometimes people ask me for my expertise on a particular topic or for an opinion for them to consider when making a big decision.  And sometimes it is for my opinion of a certain person’s performance or for a referral of a service provider such as a plumber.  When I take time to help someone else, I really appreciate hearing the end of the story; was my input helpful?   If I refer someone who does a bad job, I want to know that so I don’t refer them again.


There are other ways to give feedback.  This week on the I-5 in Southern California, I saw one of the most intriguing vehicles I have ever seen.  It was the Wholly Guacamole truck. I took these photos.   I waved at the driver and smiled.  He seemed accustomed to getting attention. But the feedback was definitely positive!  My photos are inadequate; try Googling "Wholly Guacamole".

Feedback, whether good or bad, is important information.  Remember to give it and to receive it with grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment