Friday, October 30, 2009

Harry Hemlock and the Juneberry Sisters - LIVE!


In honor of the felled black walnut (see "To Kill A Tree" 9/21/09), and to compensate my neighbors who now have a substantially increased view of the most unattractive side of my house, I purchased a hemlock tree and two Juneberry bushes to fill the empty space.  Both are native to Virginia and will thrive in the location.


Harry the Hemlock makes me think of a freckly faced schoolboy, fresh from an after-school tumble and ready for more.  He was on sale at the local garden center.  He will bounce back as his roots expand in the rich soil of his new home.  He has a lovely shape and a swagger-like confidence in his droopy branches.   He is sure to thrive next to his vivacious friends the Juneberry Sisters.


The  sisters had already shed most of their leaves when I chose them from among many. They are tall and I understand will broaden as they age and begin to bear more fruit - thus the female assumption on my part.


Best of all, I am told that the birds love the juneberries and that they also have a pretty flower. The berries are edible for humans, so in a dire situation, I will dine with my bird friends! 


If they could sing, I think they would form a trio called Harry Hemlock and the Juneberry Sisters and sing the blues.  They seem made for one another and even the men who planted them commented on how well they look together.  Perhaps late at night when the dog has gone to bed and the bunny rabbits and raccoons have taken over the yard, they will belt out their songs and keep the night things entertained.  


Maybe that old owl who ate my bullfrogs will come back and play the bass and the fluttering of the bat wings from their home in the tree above will provide acoustics.  When spring comes, they'll be joined by the buzzing things.  I can already picture the chipmunks sitting up on their hind legs, supported by their stubby little tails, rudely whispering stories with their mouths full during the concert.



I have paid my penance for the felling of the walnut.  In addition to the hefty cost of the purchase and planting of Harry and the Sisters, I have found ways to put the wood to good use:
  • My son made a rough log bench that is installed next to my pond.  It blends beautifully into the surroundings and will last for many years.  I can sit on it while I contemplate the frogs and fish and enjoy the sound of the waterfall.
  • A school is using some of the wood for their students to make crafts projects and possibly small pieces of furniture.
  • A local craftsman was able to use the largest pieces for making tables and benches.
  • An unemployed recent college graduate was paid by me to split the smallest pieces into firewood; more than a cord is in two large, perfect stacks and will be usable before spring.
Good things do come out of bad.  While the walnut had to be sacrificed, I gained knowledge, through Bill, a great bench, and the satisfaction of knowing I helped an unemployed graduate, students and craftsmen.  And, if I listen really hard in the middle of the night, I just might hear Harry and the Juneberry Sisters making beautiful music together.


If you have to cut down a tree, contact your local Department of Forestry or your county extension office and ask them for a reference for a wood recycler who will put your wood to good use.  Bill Merkel (Neighbor-Wood) www.neighbor-wood.com in Northern Virginia offers urban wood recovery that aims to put trees to their highest use.  He also offers mobile sawmill services (making lumber right where the tree falls), hardwood lumber sales, customer carpentry and furniture production. Bill will use some of my wood to make tables and benches.  He arranged for the school to get the remainder for their student projects.   


I waited until after I had the tree cut to call Bill and his earlier involvement would have meant more usable wood (typical arborists cut the wood in shorter lengths because it is easier and cheaper for them); fortunately I had the foresight to request that the pieces be kept long.  Bill would have helped negotiate the cost and ensured that the cutting was minimal and more usable.  


3 comments:

  1. This tree and wood recycling information is really useful!! I am sorry I did not know it sooner! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inviting me to read this and for your passion towards native plants and the critters that depend on them. One thing you may want to be aware of is the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid, a non-native pest of the majestic Eastern Hemlock. This is a really unfortunate pest. If untreated, it does kill. It can be easily treated and the cost of doing so has even come down.
    There is lots of good information you can find about this pest on-line, here is an article written by a colleague in the College of Natural Resources at Virginia Tech:
    http://www.fw.vt.edu/forestupdate/newsletters/Volume13/13.2.2.htm
    If this is news to you, don't be too discouraged. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have made the same decision, it's a beautiful tree. Just keep an eye on it.
    Thanks too for the plugs you gave VDOF, VCE and Bill Merkle.

    Adam, Extension Agent-Forestry & Natural Resources

    ReplyDelete
  3. In principle, a good happen, support the views of the author

    ReplyDelete