Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ode to the Kentucky Wonders


This was my first year growing green beans.  My son started them in pots and we transplanted them in late spring.   Today, I pulled the tired, shriveled plants out of the ground.  The last crop had only a few beans (see photo).  The leaves were brown; the flowers wilted in the chilly nights.  It was time.  They served us well and we enjoyed their fruit for many months.  With thanks to the Kentucky Wonders...



My bean plants, my bean plants
I’ll miss you so.
You gave and you gave and I
Regret that you must go.

It is the end of the season and
You produced such a crop.
We’ve eaten and eaten and
Now we must stop.

I said my good-byes as I
Pulled up your stalks.
I thanked you and blessed you
for talking the talk.

Your children will flourish
Next year when I sow
Your seeds in the well tended
Earth where they’ll grow.

Good-bye and thank you my
Kentucky friends.
I’m proud to have known you
Right up to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment