Monday, March 1, 2010

B-Words



Preparing for a family jaunt to our cabin in the Kentucky hills last summer, I asked my eldest to give me his grocery wish list.  He named food items that violate the rules of the Mayo Clinic Diet book that I am currently reading and every version of the food pyramid that has ever been written:


  • Beer
  • Brownies
  • Bacon
  • Bread
  • Bourbon
  • Burgers
  • Beef
  • BLT's


"They all start with a "B", he said.  " Come to think of it, most things that start with a "B" are good,"  he added.  He continued his list of favorite b-words, "beach, breakfast,  boy, bicycle, boobs..."  I changed the direction of the conversation after the final installation, which is not a subject a Mother wants to discuss with her adult son.


So we talked about how the things he named were distinctly male on the goodness quotient.  If I were asked what I wanted food-wise for the lake trip I would have said:


  • Red wine (old vine zinfandel)
  • Spinach
  • Turkey
  • Light cheese
  • Chicken
  • Broccoli (a B-word he did not name)


Sure, a few of his b-words are ones I like, too, but my list is more eclectic and heart-healthy.  While I would partake in some of the enjoyment of his b-foods, they would not be things I would generally tempt myself with at the lake.  For me, the trip was really one big B-word, bonding, but more specifically about G-words including only a few food items:


  • Grainy bread
  • Green leafy vegetables
  • Goat Cheese
  • Generosity
  • Getaway
  • God
  • Grits
  • Generations
  • Genealogy (we spent time researching some of the WWII letters of Dad's and other family history)
  • Good food


When you are in your 20's, vacation seems more about sensual pleasures like food, for example; with age, you move down the alphabet to the deeper pleasures of creating lasting Memories and stealing Time away to Observe life Simply and Study Nature.


The result was a great weekend and fun for us both.  He got his B-words and I my bonding, family, nature and peaceful time.  Maybe this year he will ask for C-words.  I can only just imagine what those might be.


I am skipping to the J-words this year.  The first of those, having nothing to do with vacation, is JOB!  I just hope it isn't June before I realize it!!  But I will Jump for Joy when it happens.  And I might go for a Jog.  But the food choices will be limited.

6 comments:

  1. Very fun reading. You made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better bonding by bodacious bards than boobs!
    January still has days to jump for joy.
    Fun things to do with family.
    Bravo again!
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this one, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post; I really enjoyed reading. By: Hercules

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. Your son's desire for brats speaks to my midwestern heart. The pics are gorgeous, as always.

    When I read the b's and saw the lake pictures, it made me think of a phrase I've always loved. By the by. It makes me think of two ladies sitting on a porch. Something springs to mind. Nothing urgent, nothing life-changing, just a "by the by" moment.

    ReplyDelete