Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Things to Smile About

There are so many things in my life to smile about.  Here are a few from the past week, which included brief trips to New York and Florida and a little time at home.
Pig Socks.  These are my favorite socks.  Nothing bad happens when I wear them and they make me feel great.  I thought about putting them in my purse for a job interview the other day, but I don't think it counts if they don't have my ten little piggies inside them.
Shower Frogs.  My very funny son plastered these on my shower wall many years ago.  Since he went away to college I especially enjoy the reminder of his good humor and love of life.
Snail Boy.  I found this whimsical figure in an antiques shop some years ago and gave it to my sister when she needed cheering up.  Soon after I became unemployed, she mailed it to me on loan, to enjoy until employed again.  I hope to return him soon.
Birthday Fun.  My good friend turned 60 last week and her husband hosted a dinner in her honor with her best girlfriends at an Italian restaurant in New York.  About 30 of us dined for nearly 4 hours.  The birthday cake was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.  What a wonderful birthday gift that evening was for all of us.

Snow.  We have had our share of it this winter, but I never get tired of the early morning quiet in the garden after a snowstorm, pristine before the dog does his sentry duty.  This morning I was grateful that I did not have to commute anywhere.
Prayer.  I had lunch with a friend yesterday, in a nice DC restaurant.  What a comfort it was to bless our food and my impending job interview.  It makes me smile that we could be with God for those brief moments while everyone and their noises disappeared.
Sister Time.  My sister was in New York on the same weekend as I.  We carved out a little time and among other things went to a flea market.  I loved seeing her; it always is as if only a few hours, rather than months, had passed since the last visit.
Hawk on the Trail.  While walking on a trail in Florida, I saw this beautiful hawk perched on a nest.  I was so amazed at its size and stillness as it watched the territory below.  What a treat to see such a magnificent creature.

2 comments: