Thursday, May 20, 2010

Peony Envy

US National Arboretum, Peony Collection
Recently I visited the US National Arboretum, one of my favorite spots.  In addition to walking through the azalea gardens,  empty of admirers because most had peaked and had only wilted flowers, we saw the boxwood gardens and adjacent perennial gardens featuring peonies. 
US National Arboretum, Peony Collection
While I loved seeing the beautiful peonies, it made me envious and a little annoyed because they were excessively beautiful.  There were so many of different varieties and colors.  I was star-struck and coveted the collection.
US National Arboretum, Peony Collection
I didn’t grow up with peonies and until the last couple of years, I never paid much attention to them.  Perhaps that is because I have had so much more time to open my eyes and enjoy the spring or maybe it's an aging thing.   
Puny Peony in Falls Church
There is a peony bush tucked in the back of a partially-shaded flower bed in my garden.  It never blooms and doesn't grow much.  In 13 years it hasn't changed size but it always comes back.   I think it is a puny peony.   Like some people, and animals, it just isn’t up to the challenge of blooming and instead puts out its greens and does no more.  It lives; it does not thrive.
My peony
A few years ago I purchased three peony tubers in the spring and planted them in a sunny spot in the garden.  They barely had any leaves that first year (I have since found out it is best to plant peonies in the fall).  The second year I had completely forgotten about them and was surprised to see them emerge from the cold earth late in the spring; again, no blooms.
My Peony
This year I had quite a surprise.  One of the three peony bushes put out two blooms.  They were not big gorgeous blooms like what you see at the National Arboretum or in my neighbors’ yards, but the color is beautiful and they lasted about a week.  I don’t know about the two smaller bushes; maybe next year will be the year for their to peak (or peek?).
Friend's Peonies
Meanwhile my dear neighbor and friend has brought me cuttings from her voluptuous peonies and on my morning walks with the dog I see the peonies of others in the neighborhood, all beautiful, full and enormous.  Mine pale in comparison.  It must be the lack of full sun in my yard.  Or maybe they need to be fed.
US National Arboretum, Peony Collection
There is a lot to be said for shade in the summer months, but it makes it hard to grow some things – like jealousy-inducing peonies.  So I continue to be envious right now that everyone else's peonies outshine mine and remain gorgeous as my two little blooms lose their leaves. 

Sometimes you just have to work with and appreciate the resources you have.  My shade-loving hostas are gorgeous and enormous, and soon will have their fragrant beautiful flowers; my azaleas were full and brilliant this year; the bleeding hearts are to be coveted; the rhododendron are stunning; and soon my hydrangeas in dark pink, brilliant blue and deep purple will be blooming and ready to cut and share.  
US National Arboretum, Peony Collection
It seems there are lessons everywhere these days.  Peonies are good teachers.  Envy is not a particularly attractive trait and really I don't consider my problem with peony envy a serious personality flaw.  Rather it is an opportunity to reflect, examine my actions (maybe I should try feeding them and move the puny one to a sunny spot), rejoice for the beauty I am so fortunate to be able to enjoy, and wait patiently for the wonders unfolding in other parts of my garden as summer progresses.  No matter how gorgeous and prolific my perennials and bushes are, I promise I will never mention that mine are bigger than yours!

Visit the peony collection at the United States National Arboretum


4 comments:

  1. Lovely reflection on peonies. My front yard is inundated with them and, while they are lovely, they are very heavy and I am forever propping them up. Perhaps that's a life lesson too? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the article and the beautiful pictures of the peonies....Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't tell your peonies how you feel...you don't want to hurt their feelings while you're urging them to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fun to compare notes on things that we see and do during the day. Envy and peonies. what a thought process. gives me pause on envy. I think I gave that up years ago. but growing peonnies..now there is a challenge. The first two years my one plant did nothing, then a blossom and now for two years I have gotten five each year. The first one was so exciting I hated to see it die so I picked it and gave it to my elderly neighbor who cannot get out much. She was so pleased, even when the ants started to come out to play. They must have been way inside the blossom for they were not visible when it was first picked. what fun for all of us. hated to squash the ants. some one said the peonies need the ants to bloom, but I do not know if
    that is true. Your pictures captured their colors so well.

    ReplyDelete