Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day makes me think about my own Dad who passed away early in 2002 after a stroke.  

Here he is in 1998 at my house, about this time of year, after having arranged these beautiful hydrangeas for me.  My hydrangeas are just as beautiful this year and I am always reminded of him when I pick and arrange them.  
Dad loved flowers and on visits here in the spring he would go to the garden center and buy me a few treasures and plant them for me.  Here is one of the clematis that he planted.  It always blooms in May and June and usually has beautiful flowers on Father's Day.
Here is a yellow rose on the bush I bought in Dad's honor on his birthday back in April.  The beetles are bothering it and the flower is nibbled a bit around the edges, but he would have loved it anyway and remembered that yellow roses are my favorite.
Dad loved my boys and spent quality time with them.  Here he is teaching Matt some manly skills.  
He was happy to hold my boys when they were babies as long as they didn't cry or have "messy pants."  When they had issues, he returned them.  I don't think he was much help to Mother with those things when we were babies, either.

Dad regularly told me he was proud of me.  What a feeling that was.  I miss that.  He was probably the last person who told me they were proud of me.  A kind word of praise can really turn a mediocre day around.  

At dinner this evening, I remembered Dad in my blessing, and said that I hope he is helping the Lord watch over us.  We continue to need his guidance and remember the lessons he taught us. 

Thanks Dad, for making me feel special.  This is your day and we all remember you fondly.


No comments:

Post a Comment