Saturday, October 9, 2010

Lessons from a Friend

A few nights ago a friend and I were on our way to a meeting and erred in our directions,  turning around at a familiar street.  I reminded her that mutual dear friends lived in the neighborhood where we turned and we spent a few minutes talking about them, as it had been some months since either of us had seen them.  We continued to our meeting and I know I didn’t think about that turning “error” again until the next day.

She called the following morning to tell me that the night before, Dave, who lived on that street where we turned around, had passed away due to recently-discovered inoperable ravaging cancer.  

That terrible heart-stopping news caused me to drop everything for a little while, needing prayer and meditation and time to simply assimilate the information I had been given.  I called another friend who was equally devastated by the news and we shared tears and a few memories, wishing we lived closer so we could be together in our sorrow.
Later it seemed so amazing that just the night before we happened to turn around in his neighborhood, spoke fondly about him and his beautiful wife, and were so close to his home when he was passing.  My friend and I decided that, when surprise reminders of friends and loved ones occur,  it is a good practice to pause and complete the thought about them and say a prayer. 

We clearly were supposed to have had that reminder of Dave and his family.  Since then, he has filled my thoughts.

Here are a few lessons I learned, and in some cases re-learned, from a man whose name is synonymous with integrity.  I hope you have someone in your life who has given you similar opportunities for learning.







                                                                                 Lessons from a Friend
  • Surround yourself with awesome people.
  • Have faith that the Lord will guide you and that prayer is always part of the answer.
  • Love your children and grandchildren with gusto.
  • When you have been trusted with an assignment, consider it an honor and always do your very best.
  • Without words, cause even strangers to recognize that your spouse is the love of your life.
  • Generously give of your time as a mentor and teach others to do the same.     
  • Leave indelible marks on the lives of others such that they are better people for having known you.

4 comments:

  1. Katherine, I am so sorry about your friend. I do believe you were meant to stop and remember your friend and that it was not an error that led you close to him that evening. Angel's are among us and we have to allow them to show us the way.

    Believe
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. coincidences are often meant to be and deliver a message. heaven helps us remember the important things in life - our family and friends and neighbors. what a joy life is...my "sham" is BLOSSOMING. mARY aNN

    ReplyDelete
  3. KDH -
    so very sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to his family. amazing that there is such synchrony in the universe to lead you to him at that precise time. reminds me of how precious our friends and family are and i need to work harder to reach out, stay connected. thank you for this lovely piece. hilarie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine,

    I'm sorry about your loss. Thanks for sharing the lessons. And, given the sad circumstances, it's kind of comforting that some larger force out there led you through their neighborhood and allowed you to reminisce. I'm sure Dave enjoyed your friendship as well. VA

    ReplyDelete