Thursday, August 27, 2009

Unemployment: Unintended Consequences - A Gift of Time


I love living in the National Capital Area. Washington is incredibly rich with everything that feeds me mentally and spiritually except, temporarily, employment. After living here for some 30 years, however, I tend to take things for granted and I know to avoid certain hot spots because they will be jam-packed with tourists.

But this is the time of year to enjoy my favorite museums. This week and next, the subway will not be crowded and the museums will be nearly empty.

Today I met a friend for lunch at the Pavilion Cafe at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden, located just West of the National Gallery of Art. There was no line. The food was fresh and tasty and we sat outdoors in a pleasant, shady spot where we could see the beautiful flowers and talk. It was positively refreshing, despite the heat. The photograph of the hibiscus was taken today.

I was to pick up my car from the dealership after lunch. During the routine servicing, they found a problem. I suddenly had two hours to kill while they fixed it.

This was a huge gift that, when I was working, would have caused me much frustration. But today, it was luxury and I was in the middle of the best place I could be to have that happen. I decided to make the most of it.

I made a dash through the West Wing of the National Gallery of Art. I love the Italian sculptures and there is a nice exhibit of works of Tullio Lombardo, 1455-1532, a Venetian Renaissance Sculptor. It showcases a few of his more portable high relief marble carvings ), which includes lovers, saints and heroes. It was heavenly. Cool, uncrowded and magnificently presented. See the website for more information: http://www.nga.gov/press/exh/2864/index.shtm.

With a little more time remaining, I crossed the street to the National Archives. I am embarrassed to admit that I have not been there since 1973. I always steer visitors there, but because I knew the lines were always long, I did not go myself. Today there were no lines.

The presentation of the Declaration of Independence in the rotunda of the building is impressive. It calmed me, reinforced my faith in the wisdom of the Founding Fathers and the backbone of our great country and made me so proud that my relatives were part of the American Revolution. I was also impressed by how respectful all of the visitors were. People spoke in whispers, possibly encouraged by the dim lighting, and filed very slowly by each of the panels. One of the children looked at his Mother as she stood in front of the Declaration of Independence and said "are you crying Mom?" "Yes," she said. "This is important."

I am so grateful for the gift of a little extra time today, and that I used it wisely. It was a good day and one that I will remember for a long time. I also want to spend more time in DC before Labor Day so that I can enjoy the peace and quiet of Washington at the end of summer.


1 comment:

  1. August is a great time to be in DC, minus the terrible humidity. It's so nice and quiet -- sounds like a great day (especially that experience at the Archives).

    ReplyDelete