Thursday, August 27, 2009

One Toss, No Loss - Making Simple Decisions


I carry a silver dollar in my purse for the sole purpose of making decisions. I don't remember what exactly prompted me to do this, but I always have one with me. Mine was a gift from my brother; his gift has saved me countless hours of indecision.

Quite simply, the purpose of the coin is to neutralize the decision process and free my mind for other things.

If I can't decide on a restaurant, I toss the coin. If I am torn between two menu items in a restaurant, I bring out my silver dollar. The only rule is that you must live with whatever the coin decides.

The beauty of this system is that no one is at fault and you get on with it. I have pulled the coin out in meetings when people are arguing and it is clear that there are two good options. The coin decides and then the meeting will not last all day.

Usually, when I am at a decision point with two simple choices, neither of them can be bad, simply different. Friends and colleagues generally accept the toss because there is no favoritism and it takes away the fear of making a mistake.

I have given silver dollars as shower gifts, graduation gifts and even as wedding gifts. The coin is perfect for a young couple just starting out. They are bound to have arguments about whether the chair should face this way or that or any number of non life-altering decisions that just require you to do something and move on.

Medical problems, serious relationship issues, and anything with major consequences should be taken up in prayer and with a professional. But for the little things, try carrying a silver dollar.

It will lighten your load because you know that you can move on to more important things after a simple toss.



2 comments: