Saturday, August 29, 2009

Unemployment: Unintended Consequences - Two Walks in the Park




When I commuted to a job five days a week, Saturday mornings were devoted to the same errands every week - going to the bank, post office, dry cleaners, and grocery store. A rare Friday off was either spent traveling or checking off more things on my to-do list. Things are different now. I just spent two days at Great Falls Park, Virginia!

Yesterday, my friend and I decided to hike in Great Falls Park, Virginia. They have a nice visitor's center where helpful staff mapped out a 4-mile hike for us. It was very dark out, although early afternoon, and soon after we began our hike, thunder rolled and the skies darkened. Then came the rain.

We laughed at each other because we looked ridiculous as our clothes hung lopsided with the weight of the water. We were soaked. We trudged on for a while, but then it became slippery and the puddles became streams. It was fun, but not quite the fun we had intended.

We saw a beautiful blue heron on the Potomac, but most of the other wildlife took cover from the downpour and we did the same.

A $5 park admission is good for three days, so this morning I went back with another friend. This time I took umbrellas in my backpack and wore clothes that would not be quite as heavy when drenched.

Surely due to my foresight, we did not have any rain!

We saw a mother deer and her two babies. We saw all three marvelous views of the falls from lookouts high above the Potomac.

As we ventured down the shady, wooded trail, we heard a loud noise that sounded like someone hammering. I got a big smile on my face when I realized it had to be a woodpecker close by - and it must be a big one.

I put my hand on the next tree and felt the vibrations and we knew it was the one that he was hammering. We figured he was inside the tree and spotted a large hole, probably 30 feet up the tree, where he must have entered.

My friend knocked on the tree, in a cadence similar to the woodpecker's, and I soon saw a red head peeking out the other side of the tree - there were two holes! He definitely was concerned about his territory and seemed puzzled as my friend knocked on the tree again. This happened a few more times and then he gave up, assuming there was an invisible intruder that might mean danger and he pulled himself out of the hole and flew off. It was thrilling to watch.

We saw wildflowers and huge boulders in interesting shapes and heard the late summer noises of the forest insects and birds. It was a nice visit and well worth the trip.

I appreciate having the freedom to enjoy Fridays and Saturdays doing things that have more lasting meaning than running errands! I know these days are numbered and I want to make the most of them. I might just go back to the park tomorrow since my ticket is good for three days!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I saw in your favorite places "Great Falls," and so I had to do a search on your blog. I was born and lived most of my life in the Virginia-DC area, and the Great Falls, Virginia area was a favorite place of mine. I now live 2/3 of a continent away, and yet, the thought of seeing photos of this place just excites me. So thank you. Very much. :)

    ReplyDelete