Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Good Day

Baltic sunset somewhere near Gdansk, Poland
Yesterday was not such a good day; I mixed up the times of two appointments.  My organizational skills are highly developed and it really throws me when such things happen.  Then, I was told by my current health care insurer that I had cancelled the policy and they planned to bill me for all my charges since March.  The benefits office of my former employer (the government) said they would FAX the insurance company a letter in a few days informing them that my coverage had never lapsed.


A few DAYS?  Who sends a FAX anymore?  Aren't our communications capabilities a little more evolved than that?   "Can't you send a PDF by email to a human NOW?" I asked.  The response was a definitive "we don't do that".  I got the feeling that the same request had been made and denied before.  This will be resolved, but it is unnerving and completely unnecessary.


Someone asked me yesterday what a good day was like for me, but being caught up in the crud of the day, I didn't have a very good answer.


I know that the Lord only gives us as much badness as we can handle.  My hands are definitely too big because they can apparently hold a lot and frankly I have been feeling that I would like to share some of what has been ending up in my paws.


Today was a good day.  What a difference.  Here is what it looked like:
My newest bonsai, a birthday gift from Debbie


One of my noisy gentleman bullfrogs

A GOOD DAY
  • Watering my bonsais in the early morning under clear skies and cool temperatures in the low 70's with almost no humidity.
  • Hearing my bullfrogs croaking and sitting on the log bench observing their antics.
  • Fixing a yummy breakfast for my son and enjoying it with him.
  • Heading out the door at 7:30 for a flea market and yard sales with the same son and finding great bargains and mostly enjoying each other's company (and also deciding that we should not do it more than once a month because we get on one another's nerves after a whole morning of driving around together; I do too much mothering and he is stubborn as an old mule ).
  • Going to the gym and power walking on the treadmill for 5.5 miles and burning some 600 calories.
  • Having my son install new brake pads on my SUV, saving me a few hundred dollars in labor.
  • While driving to visit a friend, experiencing minimal traffic because everyone is on vacation this month, and blasting Beethoven's Ode to Joy and other favorites with the windows down and sunroof open.
  • Welcoming a friend, enormous home-grown cucumber in hand, laughing hysterically at the snapshot and enjoying a brief visit.
  • Having a brief conversation with an old friend who I will visit very soon, and realizing how much I am looking forward to the visit and seeing said friend and New England.
  • Enjoying several hours of trip-planning time with my friend who I will be traveling with and who also fixed a lovely low-cal dinner for us.
  • Rejoicing that I did not have to prepare dinner today (I have been doing a lot of cooking this summer).
  • Driving home with more Beethoven and enjoying the cooler, low-humidity early evening air; watching Canadian geese fly over the highway and seeing the last reds of the sun settling in the West as I crossed the Potomac River.
  • Drinking a glass of good port (ok maybe two) while listening to the night noises in the garden (including more lonely frogs croaking loudly).
  • Thanking God I am alive, healthy, and have such blessings in my life including much to look forward to in the days and months ahead.
Creekside, Greenville, Tennessee
It was more than a good day; it was a very good day.  What does a good day look like to you?

3 comments:

  1. Katherine -
    Thank you for taking what was a horrible day for you, and so openly sharing your life with the world. Most importantly, thank you for reminding us that bad days - even bad moments- are followed by the good, and that we need to be open to the good when it arrives. We forget all too often that the most often we are surrounded by good, yet we do not focus on it.

    Thank you.
    Beauty, love, and good surrounds us all - and when it seems to fade, it means it also must come back...we just usually want it back NOW and on our own terms.

    Your photos are amazing as are you.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine - Although you deserve all good days, life's journey does force us to take the bad days along with the good ones. You have a wonderful gift of putting it all into words. Thanks for sharing both the words and the beautiful pictures, particularly the newest bonsai.

    Wishing you many good days ahead!
    dh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this blog makes me think more about what a day really is in each of our lives. Living in the moment sounds easy but it is so difficult...thanks for the good example...have a wonderful holiday season....MAF

    ReplyDelete